Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Listening section for Grade X

Part B. First Challenge. Listen to the following text. Then, answer the questions.
LUCY: Hello … Yustita!
TITA: (Lucy’s voice surprised me. Why? She never comes so early like this morning. She usually comes a few minutes before the bell rings.) Hi! What is wrong? You don’t look yourself today. Why did you come so early today?
LUCY: My father gave me a lift. By the way, have you heard anything about Elsa?
TITA: What is the (1)_____ with her?

LUCY: Haven’t you heard? Everyone at school has.
TITA: What is it? Would you tell me, please?
LUCY: OK. She is falling in love with Iwan. Don’t you know? She is your classmate, isn’t she?
TITA: You are kidding! I can’t believe it is true. As far as I know, she is a calm girl. But… how about Iwan’s (2)_____?
LUCY: ”Wow …. I don’t know. Please ask yourself. Iwan and you belong to the same volleyball club, don’t you? But I think he pays no special attention to her. Since …. he loves
somebody else.
TITA: Who is she?
LUCY: Well….you’d better ask him yourself. The bell will be (3)_____ soon.
TITA: (Lucy is not my classmate. She is in the IPA (science) department while I am in the language department. The break finally ended. One by one, my friends entered the classroom. It was very noisy in the classroom. The teacher was absent and there was no special assignment.)
ELSA: Tita …. Are you going to play volleyball this afternoon?
TITA: Yes, what can I do for you?
ELSA:I want to give this letter to Iwan. Will you help me give it to him?
TITA: Yes I will. Believe me. I am as good as Mr. Postman.
ELSA: Thanks a lot for your help.
TITA: No problem.
(In the afternoon, I met Iwan in the volleyball (4)_____. He was smiling when I approached him)
Iwan ….
IWAN: Yes? What’s wrong?
TITA: Here is a letter for you.
IWAN: Who is it from?
TITA: Please read it yourself.
IWAN: Well, is it from your close friend?
TITA: Right.
(Iwan was smiling when he looked at me. I was a bit annoyed by his smile. A week had passed when Elsa came to me and asked about her letter.)
ELSA: How about the letter? I (5)_____why he hasn’t answered it yet.
TITA: I’m afraid I don’t know. I haven’t met him for a week. But I promise that I will ask about it as soon as I meet him.
ELSA: Don’t forget it, Tita.
TITA: (One evening Iwan dropped by my house to return a book which he borrowed a few days before.)
Iwan, have you answered Elsa’s letter I gave you a few days ago?
IWAN: Sorry, … I have had no time to write it. I’d rather say …. I don’t love her, but I do love someone else.
TITA: May I know who?
IWAN: Well, you will know everything soon. Sorry, …. I must be off now. Give my best (6)_____to your parents. See you tomorrow.
TITA: Yes, I will. See you.
(When I was studying that evening, I found a letter in the book which Iwan returned. I was (7)_____surprised when I read it ….
IWAN:
Dear Yustita Indriani,
Thanks a lot of your kindness. But I am very sorry to let you know that I do not love your friend.
If you really want to know the girl who I like best, her name is YUSTITA INDRIANI, the one who is reading this letter now.
Yes, Tita, I do love you. I have wanted to say it to you directly, but you never gave me a (8)_____to do so.
Well, I’m waiting for your answer, dear.

With love,
Iwan Pradita
TITA: (Oh, my God! What must I do? Do I like him? Maybe, but how about Elsa? She is my classmate and my good friend. It (9)_____to know this. Oh, no…. I will not do it. And tomorrow I will tell him. I must find time to say it.
Iwan….I don’t mean to hurt you. I can’t love you. Please don’t hate me. Let’s be friends till the end of time, but don’t love me.I can’t do that, you know. Oh God, help me (10)_____it to him. I really don’t know what I will do if I meet Elsa tomorrow.)
Find out:
1. What kind of short story is it?
2. Does the title size your attention? How does it related to the story?
3. How does the beginning of the story make your interest?
4. Where does the story take place?
5. Who are the characters? Are they true to life?
6. What is the story about?
7. Is the story interesting or exciting?
8. Is the ending of the story a surprise? Where the problems solved?
9. Who is telling the story? Is it a character in the story or an observer?
10. What type of text is it?

Derived from: Look A Head an English Course for Senior High School Students Year X / p.095

No comments:

Post a Comment