Tuesday, March 23, 2010
In this section, you will learn how to:
• identify the structure of recount texts;
• read and understand recount texts.
Read the following biographical recount carefully. Then answer the question.
Picasso was one of the most outstanding and important artists of the 1900’s. He is best known for his paintings. Almost every style in modern art is represented in Picasso’s works.
Picasso was born in 1881 in Malaga, Spain as the son of an art teacher. He studied painting with his father and also in Madrid.
From about 1895 to 1901 he painted realistic works in traditional style. Then he entered what was called the blue Period. During this time he only used shades of blue in his paintings to show poverty he saw in Barcelona.
After 1907, he entered into the style of cubbism. Among his well-known cubbist paintings are “The Three Musicians” and “The Man with a Guitar” which depict the dustruction of a Spanish town.
Picasso died in France in 1973.
Find out the answers based on the text above:
1. Who was Picasso?
2. Where and when was he born?
3. Why did he become famous?
4. What tense is mostly used in the text?
5. How many events are mentioned in the text?
6. What was the writer’s evaluation on Picasso?
7. What is the structure of the text?
8. Is there any resolution?
9. Underline the action verbs used in the text.
10. Circle the noun phrases?